My Reasons...

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Reasons # 3,663 and 1,413... Bad Parents?


Reasons # 3,663 and 1,413... Bad Parents?

My child is not potty trained.  My child is not reading on grade level.  My child has trouble interacting with others.  My child used a curse word.  My child drew on the walls with permanent marker.  My child was not nice today.  My child forgot to brush her teeth.  My child wrote her letters backwards.  My child, who is normally respectful, was disrespectful today.  My child threw a toy.  My child won't eat vegetables.  my child only eats white food.  My child wants to call me by my first name.  My child pulled the dogs tail.  My child didn't share.

Every time I read these things, it is (almost) always followed by...

"Am I a bad Mom?  Am I a bad Dad? Am I a bad parent?"

Then, I read stories in the news...

I left my child in the car so I could go to a strip club.  I allowed my boyfriend to abuse my child.  I sold my childs innocence for drugs.  I burned my child with cigarettes.  I shook my child because he was crying too much.  I threw my child off of a building.  I drowned my child.  I burned my childs eyes with bleach.  I locked my child in a cage.

Every time I read these things, it is (almost) always followed by...

"I'm a good parent, BUT...'

For my fellow Moms and Dads out there... Remember, being a GOOD parent means being invested.  Recognizing that your child is having a bad day or a bad reaction. Being there and acknowledging that something is right or wrong, or even just a work in progress...

You are there.  You are in the moment.  You are nurturing.  You are seeking resources.  

YOU ARE A GOOD PARENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ever forget it...

No comments:

Post a Comment