My Reasons...

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Reason # 3,391

I took the kiddos to the park last night.  

We usually go to 1 or 2 of the local parks in our area, but last night we went to a park pretty far away from our home... I mention this, because, when we go to one of our local parks we usually run into someone we know.  Last night was way outside of our zip code and no one knew us...

Over the course of our play, two kids approached me and asked about Bean.  Neither was mean, just curious...  Both were about 10-12 years old...

The first  was a little boy.  He approached me directly and asked me if she was sick, because he surely did not want to get sick, too... He was more than happy to play with her and help her on the stuff she needed help with (a 'zip-line' kind of thing) as long as he wouldn't get sick.  He helped her several times...

The second was a little girl... I heard her talking to he grandmother... "She has stitches and I think she's hurt and she's ugly!"

Of course, my Mommy Defense Shield went up and I took the defensive... I called to her across the playground... "If you have a question, come here and ask me."... I immediately saw that she was distressed and she started to cower into her grandmother,,, I immediately changed my stance... "Hey... It's ok to ask questions... If you want to know anything, I would be happy to talk to you..."

They came over and the girl confided that she was scared that Bean was in pain... She thought that her scars were stitches and had thought that she was in an accident... I explained to her about Bean not being able to breathe and eat when she was born, and that she had had alot of surgeries... I pointed out to her that Bean was having so much fun on the playground, just like everyone else, and that she 'just looks different' but she is just like every other kid there.  I explained to her that using the word 'ugly' is not ok... It wasn't the word that she meant to use, but it was the easiest word to use... The girl and grandma left smiling and happy and, I hope, a little enlightened...

At lunchtime today, Bean asked me what the girl i the park was talking to me about...

Ugh... That moment of truth... She has to be able to handle these types of situations, but she's only (barely) 9... How much do I disclose to her....

By the look on her face, I think she knew, so I couldn't  lie to her...

I asked her if she really wanted to know and she said yes...

I told her... The whole story... and she was, remarkably, fine with it.  She was glad that I told the girl the truth...

If I can't tell her story, who will???

I am constantly amazed by her strength and wisdom...

Reason # 3,391

2 comments:

  1. It was great that you changed your tone. It really makes a difference! I appreciated when my mom stand up for me. Someday, Bean will defend herself if not already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is strong and confident, just like her mom, and I think that is a great quality for all kids, especially girls, to possess.

    ReplyDelete