My Reasons...

Friday, February 17, 2012

Reasons # 1,337 and 3,584

Reasons # 1,337 and 3,584

At what point do you let your children become your caretaker?

Some would argue: Never.

Some would argue: In old age.

After today, I would argue: When we need care, we take care of each other.

Who would imagine that a nine year old would be the mother figure?  Who would imagine that a three year old would take the doctor role?

I recently hurt my shoulder.  To the point that my left arm was useless.  I couldn't clothe myself without crying.  I could barely brush my own hair.  I could not lift my children to hug them.

It is temporary and getting better.  But, it threw a huge wrench into our lives...

I don't think I ever counted how many times a day I pick up my kids to hug them.  Or, how important it is to hug them both, with both arms.  How freely I scoop up a backback in one arm to hug a child with the other arm when picking them up from school.  How heavy a lunchbox can feel when your other hand is holding your childs hand.

Today, I realized all of that and more.  I realized that my children want to be much more responsible than I give them credit for.

From the moment thatI picked JJ up today, he has asked me to kiss my shoulder about twenty times... Kissing makes boo boos go away... He has asked if I needed a bandaid as many times... Bandaids make everything better... (He doesn't get the latex allergy thing... That's another post... LOL)

While making dinner, I was wincing in pain and probably more grumpy than I should have been.  Bean kept coming over to ask to help me and I just kept shooing her back to the table... "Just get drinks..."

I never really considered her offer to help...

When we sat down, she began to cry.  Sob.  Heaving.

"Mom... I'm a big girl... I'm supposed to help you... You're hurt and I can help you... Why can't I help you?"

Baby Girl... You're right.  You ARE a big girl.  You are such a blessing to me and I need to swallow my pride... You need to see that i hold you in great value, in my life and in our family...

After dinner, I went to lie down in bed with an ice pack and Bean entertained JJ with a movie... After the movie, we all got ready for bed...

JJ kissed my shoulder and Bean was officially put in the role of BICWMID... Bean In Charge When Mom Is Down... She is very proud of herself and I am even more proud...

I don't think that she realizes that with great power comes great responsibilty...

Tomorrow, she is being put on Dish Washer duty...

Reasons Why I Love...

No comments:

Post a Comment