My Reasons...

Friday, April 6, 2012

Reason # 15,330... Alternate title... Sometimes it sucks to be a Mom...

Reason # 15,330... Alternate title... Sometimes it sucks to be a Mom...

Don't take that title the wrong way.  I LOVE being a Mom.  I LOVE my kiddos. I wouldn't trade my life for anything else in the world...

My kiddos are my greatest source of joy and inspiration.  Being a Mom is the most amazing thing that I can be.  It is my calling and my destiny.  I was always meant to be the Mom to these incredible Littles...

But, sometimes, it really sucks to be a Mom... To have to make decisions and choices, even if they are out of my control, that will be difficult, impossible, for my kiddos to understand.

It's always in their best interest, but, sometimes heartbreaking none the less...

I will not go into detail why,because, at the end of the day, the reason is less important.  It is what it has to be and I need to deliver the news...

We have decided to move Ellies surgery in Cinci closer.

This will result in her losing the end of the school year with her friends and teachers.  It will also mean that she will lose the rest of the Dance year...

I hate to put so much focus on her dance classes because I don't want to sound vain, but this is so important to her... This has been a source of structure over the last several years that has allowed her to gain confidence and form friendships.  She has grown, both physically and emotionally through the classes she has taken, her teachers and mentors and the bonds with her classmates... She looks forward to recital like a trophy, a victory, every year...

I need to tell her that she will not be able to do recital this year, even though she was given a solo spot in her performing company.  Even though she has practiced and done well.  She has a competition in two weeks and I have to tell her that will be her last performance this year.  She will not do pictures with her company this year.  All of the costumes that she is looking forward to wearing will hang in our closet like a ghost, a bitter reminder...

This, after taking away swimming and aftercare and sleepovers and playdates and her beloved ASL Club...

This is why, it sometimes sucks to be a Mom... Because I'm the one who has to have these conversations with a 9 year old... The 9 year old who totally trusts you to make these choices and will have no frikkin' idea that this is the best call in the long run... A 9 year old is only living in the here and now, as it should be...

It just results in the 9 year old hating you...

Being hated by your child sucks more than anything else in the world...

Reason # 15,330... Sometimes it just sucks...

2 comments:

  1. So sorry, Kerri -- this really does suck and my heart aches for you and Ellie both. I hope some day she'll understand and thank you for the painful decisions you had to make on her behalf, but know that holds little comfort here and now. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't say it better, Jean. E is strong girl!

    ReplyDelete