My Reasons...

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Reason # 3,304

Background: I've been going to the same grocery store for over 10 years.  Many of the employees are the same and we have shared alot over the years.  They have all watched Ellie grow and thrive over the years.  She has become kind of a mini celebrity/diva around the store.  We've all shared stories about our kids and grandkids and families... I really thought that I knew them all...

At the grocery store earlier, I noticed our checker had a large bandage over his left ear.  I asked him what had happened.  he told me that he had just had BAHA surgery.  I was shocked!  I had never seen him wear a hearing aid.  I've never seen him use sign language and his speech is perfect.  I immediately turned to Ellie and asked her if she had heard what he said.  She looked at me blankly so I repeated to her about his BAHA.

She is very self conscious about her BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid).  It's not about wearing a hearing aid.  It's about wearing a hearing aid that is so much different than other peoples.  I can't tell you how many times she has begged me to get a BTE (behind the ear) hearing aid so she can be like everyone else with hearing aids.  It breaks my heart to try to explain to her that it's just never gonna happen...

She immediately perked up and started signing "Me Too!!!"

The checker turned to me said, "I never realized that you guys signed..."  He signed to both Ellie and I to spell our names in sign... We both did and he just smiled this huge smile!  He and Ellie exchanged a few more signs...

I told him that I never realized that he had any hearing loss and he showed me his right side BAHA, which perfectly matched his hair color and would never be seen if not specifically looking for it... I complimented him on his speech and it was clear that it was something that he was very proud of...

I turned and realized that we were holding up a line of people and quickly apologized to them for being stuck behind us, but they were all drawn in by our exchange and were waiting patiently.

After checking out, we made our way to the car and I asked Ellie what she though and she told me that it made her happy to meet someone with the same hearing aid.  Although it seems small, I know that it means alot to her...

I'm simply amazed that sometimes you can be casually involved with someone for years and never, ever really know the most basic things about them, or what their impact will be...

Reason # 3,304

1 comment: