My Reasons...

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reasons... 10 Things that I learned this weekend...

Camp songs are fun.  Even though you feel like a fool, when you look around and see that everyone else is acting like a fool, too- you realize that you're just having fun!

Packing an extra sweater really is never a bad idea.  Apparently, everywhere north of "South Florida" experiences a 40 degree temperature change after the sun goes down.  Your Mom was right on this one.

When you forget to pack your daughters hair stuff and their are no stores around, you get to discover that Silly Bandz are the BEST ponytail holders EVER!

The boy in the wheelchair really is the best dancer on the floor.  He has the charm and enthusiasm that can be measured by few.  And, he can totally rock the Ludacris verse on "Baby". 

Seeing the face of a child the first time that they have gotten on a horse is incredible.  Seeing the look on their parents face is priceless.

Children are far more courageous than adults, but our "special" kids are just fierce.  I can never really tell if I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying, or I'm crying so hard that I'm laughing.

Sometimes, a hug from someone that you only met an hour ago is just as comforting and powerful as a hug from someone you've known your whole life.

Assumptions will only hold you back.  When you see someone and you think they have it all together, it's only because you haven't heard their story.  Make sure that you listen.

We all have a story to tell.  Until you find your voice and tell you're story, you will never realize that similarities are not only things that should draw us together.  Differences are just as important. 

Volunteers are the most incredible people ever.  I feel like I owe a years worth of "Thanks" to the volunteers I met this weekend.  Not only to give so selflessly of their time to our families this weekend, but being reminded that they will repeat the process over and over again on many other weekends and helping many other families.

I had such a great weekend with Bean.  Never once did I have to fear encountering "What's wrong with her face?" "Why does she look that way?" "EWWW!".  It was an atmosphere of fun and caring and compassion and safety.  I'm so grateful to have had this experience.  Bean came to me at least a handful of times over that weekend just to hug me and say "Thanks".

These are the Reason Why I Love...

No comments:

Post a Comment