My Reasons...

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Reasons # 3,255 and 1,007

All of our kiddos have things about them that make them who 'they' are... I love these little moments that bring the special parts of their personality to the forefront...

Took the kiddos to my parents house today and we decided to take a walk around the neighborhood.  We took the umbrella stroller with us, just in case one of them got too tired on the way back.  A few blocks from my parents house is a hill that the kids go and hang out on.  We've driven past it a million times, but have never actually gone to it...

As we walked, we passed a few boys- just at 'that' age... Too Cool, Pre-Emo, Don't-Look-At-Me-And-We-Wont-Look-At-You... Baby Boy had something else in mind.  He loves to say "Hi" to e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e.  If we go through a drive through, I must roll his window down so that he can yell "Hi".  If we are walking past a parked car and he sees someone inside, he jumps up and down and yells "Hi".  He says "Hi" to everyone in the grocery store, at church, at daycare, at the park... And it's not just "Hi", it is Baby Boys sweet, high pitched, sing-song, infectious "Hi"...  

He skipped and waved and sing-songed "Hiyeee!!!!  Hiyeee!!!"  The boys shifted uncomfortably, with their hands shoved deep in their pockets- just waiting for us to be far enough away to resume their coolness... Baby Boy was unfazed...

We kept walking and got to the hill.  Ellie eagerly ran to the top and momentarily disappeared from my view.  JJ and I followed along the sidewalk.

Ellie came running back into sight and yelled (both in voice and sign) "Mom!  It's sooooo BAD up here!!!!"  I immediately began to run up the hill- my heart sank into my stomach.  What could she have seen that was so bad???  My mind raced... It must be something terrible to have gotten her so upset so quickly... As I got to the top I saw...

Ellie picking up empty, discarded plastic bottles and cans that had been strewn everywhere.  "We can't leave these here! Who would leave garbage here?  We need to fix this..."  We filled up the umbrella stroller with bottles and cans until it was over-flowing.  I promised her that we would bring it all back to Nanny's house and put it in her recycling bin.  That made her very happy.  She diligently picked up every single bottle and can...

We started walking back to Nanny and Poppy's house and passed the same group of 'Too Cool' boys again...  JJ began his waving and yelling "Hiyee!!!! Hiyee!!!"  Each of the boys looked up a little.  One smiled, ever so slightly.  One took a hand out of his pocket and waved at waist height.  The last boy actually said "Hi" back... Then they immediately turned back to their head down, slightly scowling huddle...

As we continued to walk, I silently said a prayer... Thank you for giving me the best Reasons...

No comments:

Post a Comment