My Reasons...

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

-210

The crazy things that bring you to where you are today...
I was in NY on Labor Day of 2001.  I had planned on staying for a week.  Personal Business called me home, abruptly...
I was, newly, pregnant with Bean and had just come off the sadness of a previous, recent miscarriage...
I was still on vacation from work on 9/11/01... Normally, I would have slept in, but on this day I chose to go to the living room and watch tv there... Half slumbering, just lounging and thinking...
I remember abruptly waking from my half slumber when the news of the first plane hit... It seemed odd... How can an experienced pilot do something like that...
My Mom called me and wanted to stay on the phone....
The second plane hit and the media was all over the place...
Minutes passed that felt like hours...
I screamed into the phone, "Oh my God!!! They're falling!!!!"
My mom responded, "It's ok... they're just on fire..."
I knew that she was not witnessing what I was witnessing....
In the hours and days that followed, we tried to contact friends and family.  We were informed that some were in the Search and Rescue Team... My heart goes out to them...
We, helplessly, watched hours and days of footage and prayed and hoped for any glimmer of rescue...
We mourned and felt tortured at the outcome.... Rescue dogs were not rescuing... Teams were not finding survivors...
Days and weeks later, we watched 'Documentaries'... Real life video...
I remember watching and hearing these random 'thud' noises... The reality is that the 'thud' was bodies hitting the ground... That noise will stay with me forever...
In those days, I struggled with what it meant to bring a child into this world...
Fast Forward 2010: A nearby park is host to a WTC beam.  We drove by it the other day and I began crying... Bean asked me why and I tried to explain, but I couldn't...
How do you try to explain to a child that 'sometimes bad people do bad things' without ruining their innocence?   I'm not ready to try to explain about Monsters yet...  She has her own Monsters...
Bean was born 210 days after 9/11
-210 is the Reason Why I Love...

1 comment:

  1. I always wonder what it's like for a parent to explain to their child about 9/11 attacks when they were born afterwards or they were really young. I was at Gallaudet University, freshmen year, 15 mins from The Pentagon.

    ReplyDelete