My Reasons...

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Reason #3,457

One of the challenges of raising a Hearing Impaired/Speech Delayed child is that their language is not always yours...

The primary language in our household is English, with Signing as support...

Beans primary language at school is English, with Signing as support...

Because she has so much support, she learns signs much faster and efficiently than I do.  I tend to rely on very basic Sign and fingerspelling and a kind of charades that we do if the language escapes us...

Is it a place?  Is it a person?  Is it big or small?  Can you show me where it is?  Can you act it out?

Can you be totally frustrated?

Tonight, it was about her "run" at school tomorrow....

B: Mom!  We're the (sign) Cats!
K: Your team name is The Cats?
B: No! It's the (sign) Cats (sign) Roar!
K: You're The Roaring Cats?
B: No! We're the (sign) Cats (sign) Roar (sign) Fast!!!!!
K: OK... You're the Fast Cats?
B: Mom!  No! We're the (sign) CAT (sign) FAST!!!!!

OK...

K: Beanie, please show me...

She went to her room and retrieved a stuffed animal Cheetah...

B: Mom! We are the fastest cat! The CHEETAH!!! That's our TEAM NAME!!! The Cheetahs!!!!

And it all falls into place... Once I saw the stuffed Cheetah, I understood every word after that...

Language is a funny thing... You either get it or you don't...

Bean made me get it...
GO CHEETAHS!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment